My almost mother-in-law and second mom was a fabulous cook who hosted elaborate parties. She was a stickler for attractive food presentation. She’d always say that food should please the eyes first before it pleased the stomach.
I spent a lot of time at her home the summer following our meeting, getting to know the family. I ate a lot and discovered several dishes that have become favorites. She always prepared them for me whenever she’d visit.
There’s one dessert she used to make that I love for its simplicity, its elegance and the combination of textures and flavors. It’s Fresh Strawberry Pie. I make every summer and look forward to making it again this year.
Hope you like it.
9″ pie crust
2 pints fresh strawberries (hulled and halved)
- Remove pie crust from packaging and bake following baking directions.
- Select about 20 strawberries as close to the same size as possible. Wash, hull and cut in half. Leave one whole, including the stem, for garnishing.
- Once the pie crust cools, arrange the strawberries back to back, stem side down around the edge of the pie.
- Spoon whipped cream into the center of the pie crust. Chill until whipped cream is set, about 3 or 4 hours.
- Garnish with a whole strawberry before serving.
If you like what you’ve read, why not Share, Tweet, Digg, Like, etc. You never know who might be interested.